Thursday, November 27, 2008

Everyone understands usability

It's true. On some basic level everyone understands usability and the difference between what is said and what is meant. It is the common example when a user says they want a handle on a product they really are saying they want to be able to move it from one place to another with ease.

The same happened on my at to the airport this morning. Pulling into departures the cab driver asked what airline. Tired and without thinking I responded that I already have my boarding pass - any door will do. Now I was not thinking "what does he mean by this question?" instead I implicitly understood why he as asking my airline - not to make conversation but because he knows the pairing of doors to airlines and he can make my morning easier. As the passenger I would normally make this assumption and provide my flight information.

Maybe it us because Pittsburgh is a central check in with the gates in a separate building and drop off points are limited but this brief interaction shows that everyone understands usability. The driver did not ask what door I wanted and I did not respond with unecesarry data.

It is always interesting to see real world applications of tools and methods that interaction designers and researchers use and act as if we discovered.

No comments: